Foodyard & &samhoud
People increasingly choose for vegetarian in the supermarket, but also in restaurants. Chefs are therefore faced with a challenge: serving creative and more vegetarian dishes. Two-Michelin star chef Moshik Roth has already mastered this art: the Wall Street Journal called his restaurant &moshik one of the world’s best restaurants for vegetarians. “In my kitchen, is taste central”, says Moshik. “That is why I as much as possible choose for products of the season. Everything is much fresher and you can taste that. In addition, seasonal vegetables are better for the environment and you wallet.” As inspiration for autumn, Moshik shares three of his favorite autumn vegetables, plus tips for an optimal taste experience.
“Pumpkins grow in the summer and are ripe from the end of September. Most species are easy to store and therefore the ideal autumn vegetables. Pumpkin goes well with sweet potato, chanterelle, oak leaf lettuce, carrot, onion, garlic, vadouvan, chinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, sage, hazelnut, orange, crème fraîche and goat cheese. One of my favorite recipes is the new &samhoud Pumpkinburger on a little speltbread with roasted cauliflower, pecorino cheese, romaine lettuce, sage and sour cream.
Moshiks pumpkin burger with cauliflower
1. Grill the cauliflower for 30 minutes at 180 °C in the oven or grill it later in a grill pan.
2. Prepare the pumpkin burger for 16 to 18 minutes at 200°C in the oven for an extra crunchy bite.
3. Grate the pecorino cheese. Remove the burger from the oven 2 minutes before the end time out of the oven, sprinkle the cheese over it and put the burger in the over for another 2 minutes.
4. Finely chop the leaves of sage and mix with the sour cream.
5. Cut the little speltbread in half and cover the bottom half with a generous layer of sauce. Then sprinkle it with the romaine lettuce, the Pumpkinburger with grated cheese, grilled cauliflower and top it off with the sauce.
“My love for eggplants originated in Israël, where I come from. I find them beautiful to see and they are very versatile in use. The eggplant goes perfectly with shiitake, basil, olive, zucchini, spring onion, tomato, parsley, garam masala, rosemary, pomegranate, ginger, tahini, miso sauce, balsamic vinegar, feta, pecorino and Greek yogurt. Tip for a delicious lunch dish with eggplant is the flatbread “Marrakesh style”. I serve this wrap with my bean kebab stick, baba ganoush, dried tomatoes, cucumber and dried apricots.
Moshiks flatbread “Marrakesh style”
1. Prepare the bean kebabstick for 4 to 6 minutes on meadium heat in the pan (or 6 or 8 minutes in the oven at 200 °C).
2. Mix the baba ganoush with the mayonnaise and harissa.
3. Cut the dried tomatoes, cucumber and apricots into strips.
4. Cover the flatbread with the bean kebabstick, baba ganoush sauce, cucumber, apricots and sundried tomato.
“There are countless types of edible mushrooms, all with their own flavor combinations. I like them the best with spinach, dried legumes, chives, other mushrooms, various types of cabbage (Chinese cabbage, bok choy, sauerkraut), coriander leaves, thyme, nuts, soy sauce, lemon juice, crème fraiche or parmesan. Tip for a delicious meal is this recipe with the &samhoud broccoliburger, creamy pasta, mixed mushrooms and parmesan cheese. And easy dish and perfect for the fall.
Moshiks broccoli burger with mushrooms
- Peel the celeriac and cut it into small cubes. Cook in 5-7 minutes until it is al dente and pour off.
- Prepare the pasta and the Broccoliburgers as described on the package (tip: prepare the Broccoli burger in the oven, then it will be extra crunchy!). In the meantime, chop the onion and garlic and tear the mushrooms into pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Bake until it starts to brown. Add the celeriac and bake them briefly.
- Add the cooking cream and season it with salt and pepper. Let it simmer gently.
- Drain the pasta and scoop it through the mushroom mixture.
- Serve the Broccoliburgers with the pasta and sprinkle with fresh parsley, chives, thyme and parmesan cheese.